Saturday, January 24, 2009

Boy am I slacking!

I had planned to try and post at least 1-2 x a week, just to update things and let anyone who reads know how we're doing. Ha! Hasn't happened!
I've been trying to post at my other blog, as often as I remember to. That's gone a little better.

Right now I have a LOT of things going.
1) Trying to start saving for the eventuality of buying our own house. We have at least 2, maybe 3 years, to get this done. We've figured that we'll need a minimum (with fees, closing, and down payment) of $10,000. And with the way our luck is, it will take at least that long to save lol.

2) We are currently homeschooling 4 kids (or rather I am), 3 of which need extra academic help in reading and spelling areas. Fun! Always an adventure. Gabe is the hard one, with him functioning at such a low level, he has a hard time keeping his attention on things for long. So, I'm doing things in 5-15 minute spurts throughout the day.

3) I keep de-cluttering on weekends. And I do mean every weekend! Today was toys, and I have 2-30 gallon trash bags full to go to goodwill. Next weekend is clothes (again, we did this a few weeks ago, and I found more stuff when I was doing laundry that needs to go), and maybe books/papers.

4) We are doing "Life Skills" with the kids. This consists of them learning about the many different jobs that are included in running the household, looking for work(though too young for a job yet), and cooking. Right now, the kids (besides Gabe) take turns helping with dinner, and doing dishes and some of the chores in the house(ie pick up bathroom and bedrooms, or vacuum, learning to do laundry, etc.). Mike and I still do a majority of the stuff around here, but the kids get chores to do every week, and that's how they earn money, toys, games, etc.

5) Mike is working full time still at Tyson, but they have started cutting back some hours. He no longer works most Saturdays, and I'm sure that there are going to be days in the future that he comes home early. We are hoping and praying that things continue to go well for his job, and that there are no layoffs in his future.

6) I'm working on some personal struggles in my life as well. I'm not going to post about them right now, but suffice to say, if I need help (or prayers) I will post that as well. I'm also working on making my yes mean yes and my no mean no. It's a hard one for me, because many times I've told the kids, "no you can't do this" and then just to shut them up or busy them for a bit, I give in and let them.

That's pretty much what's going on here in a nutshell. Feel free to comment or give advice or ideas! I could use some constructive criticism.

No comments: